Teaching, Training and Knowledge Transfer
The research institute IFeL develops MOOCs and prepares interesting workshops on self-regulating learning, technology-based learning and realistic expectations.
To transfer our findings from research into teaching, we organise, in addition to our «conventional» teaching activities in modules/webinars of the FFHS, short stays (2-14 days) at our partner universities in Switzerland and abroad giving lectures and conducting workshops on technology-based, personalised, adaptive or virtual learning. Together with our network partners, we develop and realise various educational offers (e.g. MOOCs) at an international level.
We rolled out one MOOC about Basics for Adaptive Learning and we are currently preparing Learning Analytics for Teachers. Explore our current MOOCs on https://ffhs-mooc.ch/
Basics of Adaptive Learning
One of the key trends in education is adaptive learning. This data-driven approach to teaching zooms in on the individual students and their personal needs providing adapted learning pathways, content and instruction.
A 5-week course introducing personalised and adaptive technology-based learning. The course aims primarily to reach instructional designers, teachers, trainers, tutors, project managers and researchers who want to build, enhance and/or improve technology-based adaptive courses.
The mechanisms and components of adaptive learning systems as well as didactical aspects of adaptive instructional design will be explained throughout the course. We will also touch on data related issues, such as learning analytics and measuring learning. The course will conclude with a look at the challenges of implementing adaptive learning scenarios and possible future implications.
Learning Analytics for Teachers (coming 2022)
Learning Analytics can provide teachers additional insights into their students' ways of learning (e.g., strengths or weaknesses). Existing systems showed that when teachers transform these insights into actions, it can improve student outcomes or their learning experience. Some teachers are aware of Learning Analytics, but they often do not know how to transform this information into actions and how this can contribute to students’ outcomes and their professional development. This gap limits the current usage of these systems. And that's why we are designing this MOOC!
We aim to provide teachers with information and skills on how their instruction is mapped throughout the whole Learning Analytics cycle and how they can use Learning Analytics to improve support for their current or next learner groups. The teachers will also get familiar with basic methods, including their analytics literacy, and align their work with ethics and privacy standards.
Our goal is that teachers will gain knowledge that they will apply in their day-to-day work. The examples will cover mostly Higher Education with online elements; however, the learned principles can be applied by teachers across all learning contexts.
- Moser, Ivan (2019, September). Virtual Reality als immersives Hilfsmittel im Unterricht. DigitalDay Kantonsschule Zofingen. www.kszofingen-digitalday.ch
- Moser, Ivan (2019, September). Virtual Reality im Corporate Learning. Spielerei oder echter Mehrwert? 24. FFHS-Business Breakfast.
- Bergamin, P. (2018, November). Selbstreguliertes Lernen, Technologie-gestütztes Lernen, Adaptives Lernen: Realistische Erwartungen und Fiktion. Workshop beim "Vierten Fellowtreffen" des Stifterverbands für die Deutsche Wissenschaft, Essen, Deutschland.
- Bergamin, P. (2018, Oktober). Personalisierung und Adaptivität beim technologiegestützten Lernen: Erwartung, Implementierung, Herausforderung und Phantasie. Workshop beim E-Learning Café der ZHAW, Wädenswil, Schweiz.
- Bergamin, P. (2018, Juni). Selbstregulation und Technologie-gestütztes Lernen: Realistische Erwartung und Fiktion. Workshop im Rahmen des hochschuldidaktischen Weiterbildungsprogramms der Hochschule Luzern «Exzellenz in der Lehre. Inspiration und Werkstatt.», Luzern, Schweiz.
- Moser, Ivan (2019, August). Collaborative Learning in Multi-User Virtual Reality. SWITCH eduhub webinar. https://www.eduhub.ch/events/Collaborative-learning-in-multi-user-Virtual-Reality/
- Bergamin, P. (2018, April). Learning Analytics: Können wir diesen Trend in der Praxis überhaupt nutzen? Webinar im Rahmen des CAS eDidactics der Fernfachhochschule Schweiz, Brig, Schweiz.