MOOC Learning Analytics for Teachers
Discover how you can use Data and Analytics to support students and improve your practice.
Akadem. Titel: Certificate of Achievement in Learning Analytics for Teachers
Start: Nov 6, 2023
What you will learn
Upon completing the course, you will be able to position yourself as a teacher in the Learning Analytics environment, understand the principles from the teacher perspective and have knowledge to apply it in your teaching practice. At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand in which context Learning Analytics can be applied and what benefits it can bring adapting LA.
- Describe and analyse the collected data in different learning scenarios.
- Understand good practices when collecting the data, including the ethical perspective and data privacy.
- Understand and differentiate between several analytics methods in Learning Analytics.
- Analyse and evaluate which visualisation techniques suit different data types and types of analysis.
- Analyse different activities performed by teachers, and which kind of analytics you can perform in these different roles.
- Judge rule based and machine learning based methods for automating Learning Anaytics, depending your context and teaching roles.
Individual Weeks Outlook
- Week one: We will introduce and frame Learning Analytics (LA) and show how it can be used to enhance learning and teaching practices.
- Week two: You will learn about various types of data in the higher education sector, particularly the data generated during learning. We demonstrate this on several examples of how they relate to student learning, e.g., clicks representing student engagement.
- Week three: You will learn about commonly used data analytics approaches such as descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, prescriptive, and their applications.
- Week four: will build on the foundations from the three weeks. You know about your data, deal with them ethically, and are familiar with the basic methods and know-how to read data and identify some common patterns in them.
- Week five: We will learn about automating Learning Analytics. You will learn, what are the differences between rule based and machine learning based automation, and what to consider when selecting one of them to include in your teaching.
Prerequisite: Interest in innovative teaching approaches.
Length: 5 Weeks
Workload: 4-6 hours / week
Cours Fee Official/Vertified: Free of charge
Course Language: English
Enrollment Start Date: September 13, 2023
Enrollment End Date: November 06, 2023