Swiss Distance University of Applied Sciences
Created in 1998, the Swiss Distance University of Applied Sciences (Swiss Distance UAS) offers nationally recognised Bachelor and Master's degrees as well as a range of further education courses in economics, information technology, law and health. By allowing students to study anywhere and at their own pace, the Swiss Distance UAS enables students to combine work, family and study.
The Swiss Distance UAS has regional centres in Zurich, Basel, Berne and Brig. It employs over 70 full-time and some 300 part-time lecturers who focus on imparting knowledge as used in practice to a total of about 2000 students (as of 2017). In 2004, the Swiss Distance UAS became an affiliated school of the Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana (SUPSI).
The Swiss Distance UAS offers degree courses in applied science based on blended learning. This means that about 80% of the training takes place through supervised distance study, while the remaining 20% is done at the regional centres in Zurich, Berne, Basel and Brig. By offering innovative courses that combine different types of e-learning with traditional education methods, and by training professionals without removing them from their jobs, the Swiss Distance UAS has closed a gap in the Swiss educational system. Thanks to this strategy it achieves a high degree of specialisation in each field of study.
In its three research institutes, the Swiss Distance UAS engages in applied research covering web science, management, innovation and e-learning that complies with all national Swiss education standards:
Institute for Research in Open-, Distance- and eLearning (IFeL)
The Institute for Research in Open-, Distance- and eLearning (IFeL) investigates the use of modern technology in learning. The interdisciplinary team of the IFeL consists of social and computer scientists and collaborates with both national and international partners. They apply a design-based research methodology and focus on emotions in reading and learning. Since autumn 2016, the institute has been home to the UNESCO Chair for Personalised and Adaptive Distance Education. In this context, it investigates the framework conditions and implementation concepts for personalised and adaptive learning.
The Institute for Management and Innovation (IMI)
The IMI research in the area of management and innovation. The institute cooperates with enterprises, organizations and groups as well as partner institutes from other colleges.
The core competencies of the IMI is in the thematic areas of innovation management, Organizational Intelligence: How to foster interdisciplinary collaboration to increase innovation organizational intelligence, interdisciplinary collaboration, organizational capabilities, and absorptive capacity. Research in these areas has been conducted, published in scientific journals and practitioner magazines, and presented at various conferences. The research have a strong background in qualitative research methods and is experienced in collaborating with management practitioners.
Laboratory for Web Science (LWS)
The Laboratory for Web Science is the research institute of the Informatics Department of the FFHS and of the Information Systems and Netwroking Institute (ISIN) of the SUPSI. The research group focuses on two different research areas: Data Science (Complex Networks, Recommender Systems, and Machine Learning) and Learning Analytics.